BreakFree Agile Delivery FrameworkI consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to see the Agile software development framework implemented, executed, and matured in a number of projects, while working for one of the country’s top software development firms where I lead teams of supporting DevOps engineers. When done correctly Agile software development is a great way to run software development efforts. An Agile software delivery team is productive, adaptive, and most of all extremely positive about the tackling the most challenges aspects of their work. It drives efficient results and an infectious, positive culture.

Past experience told us that an Agile DevOps mind-set is critical when taking on complex infrastructure automation projects. These projects have many of the same challenges as complex software development. But we also know it isn’t an exact translation. We can’t simply map an Agile development framework like Scrum directly to an infrastructure project. So, we built the BreakFree Agile Delivery Framework, and step one is clearly documenting our requirements and constraints.

  • We want a singular project estimation and management framework that can account for both predetermined and known efforts related to standard service actives the unknown aspects of automation engineering.
  • We want to drive the same level of visibility, customer input, reporting, work efficiency, and teamwork that Agile software delivery teams achieve through Scrum, Kanaban, and Extreme Programming.
  • DevOps tool-chains, techniques, and work management software should be the default.
  • Automation engineering has similar challenges to software development including regular scope changes due to technical debt, unknown unknowns, and hard to estimate automation challenges.
  • BreakFree is a solutions firm working with enterprise IT customers that typically do not sign up for large amounts of raw automation capacity managed by an Agile process.

These requirements and constraints act as the foundation of BreakFree Agile. When you engage a BreakFree automation engineering team as part of BreakFree’s Incubate, Automate, or Accelerate service offerings, the BreakFree Agile Delivery Framework is utilized.

  • Proposals contain a detailed list of major tasks, associated task effort estimates in days, and an associated effort confidence score.
  • Resources are only able to utilize 90% of their time on actual backlog work, and the remaining 10% is saved for planning and documentation.
  • Desired and current state architectural plans or workflow diagrams will be utilized to provide insight into project goals and progress.
  • Agile Scrum will be utilized to manage the iterations cadences and activities.
  • Backlogs and plans will be managed in an Agile task managed system.
  • Each project has an initiation of foundational period where supporting DevOps tool-chains are automatically deployed and on-boarding takes place.
  • By default, documentation is stored in code repositories and summarized in Wikis.

The BreakFree Agile Delivery Framework is the most impactful and effective way to deliver the next generation of solutions to New IT.

 

 

Subscribe

Subscribe to BreakFree's Insight blog and receive an email every time we publish new content.

Share This